Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Chocolate And Orange Hot Cross Buns
A tasty twist on the classic, perfect for the winter time. Grab one freshly baked, and you truly can't go wrong!
- 590g strong white flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground mixed spice
- 50g butter, diced and cold
- 6 tbsp. golden caster sugar
- 10g dried yeast
- 275ml milk, lukewarm
- 1 large free range egg
- 75g dark chocolate chunks
- 75g candied orange peel
For the crosses-
- 2 tbsp. plain flour
- 2 tbsp. cold water
Method (click to mark as completed)
- In a bowl, sift the strong white flour, cocoa powder, salt and mixed spice, add the butter and rub together with your fingers until a fine breadcrumb is formed.
- In a separate bowl, use a Russell Hobbs hand mixer to whisk together the milk and eggs. Once mixed, stir in the yeast. Make a well in the flour mixture from earlier then slowly pour the wet mixture into it. Mix the two together until a sticky dough is formed.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface and work it to form a ball. Knead the dough by using the heel of your hand to first press down on the dough and then push it away from you. This action will stretch the dough. Form it back into a ball shape, give it a quarter of a turn and repeat. Continue to do this for 10-15 minutes until the dough becomes elastic in texture.
- Form the dough into a ball then place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, add the chocolate chunks and orange peel and knead for 5 minutes. Make the dough into a ball and return to the greased bowl, cover a leave to rest in a warm place again for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl and knock the dough back by folding it repeatedly in on itself using the heels of your hands, until it is smooth and all the air is knocked out. Form into 6-8 balls and place on a greased tray, cover and leave in a warm place for 35-40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC. Mix together the plain flour with a little water to form a paste. Using a piping bag or a sandwich bag with a corner snipped off, pipe this paste to form crosses on the top of the buns.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving/eating.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)