Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Chicken Kiev, Vine Tomatoes And Boulangère Potatoes
A perfect way to impress your guests or family, this homemade chicken kiev is served with oven-baked baked thinly-sliced potatoes and vine tomatoes for a delicious balanced meal.
For the Kievs:
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 50g salted butter (softened)
- 2 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1 egg – lightly whisked
- A little flour
- Pepper to taste
For the potatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 white onion Sliced
- ½ pint good chicken stock
- Chopped parsley
Method (click to mark as completed)
- To make the Boulangere potatoes - peel and slice the potatoes and onion. Then layer the potato and onions in a baking dish.
- Add the stock with the chopped parsley so that it just covers the potatoes.
- Next, make the kievs. Peel the garlic and place it in your mini chopper along with the parsley and a good sprinkle of black pepper and blitz for 10 - 20 seconds.
- Add the softened butter and mix for a further 15 seconds.
- Take the chicken breast and slice it along the long edge into a butterfly shape, but don’t cut it completely in half. Then place a piece of cling film over the chicken and batten it out (use a rolling pin) to flatten it out slightly.
- Place a good spoonful of the garlic, parsley and butter mix in the middle of each breast then roll the chicken breast over the mix so no holes are left. You will now have a tight roll of chicken.
- Place the Boulanger potatoes in a pre-heated fan oven 150°C (nonfan oven 170°C). They will take 30 – 40 minutes to bake.
- Use your mini chopper again to create some breadcrumbs. Put some flour into a bowl and add salt and pepper. Then, whisk the egg in a separate bowl.
- Dip the chicken into the seasoned flour, then into the egg wash and then roll it in the breadcrumbs – coating completely. Repeat for the second breast.
- If you have time, leave the cling film on the chicken and leave in the fridge for an hour to rest. This will help the filling to stay in the chicken whilst it bakes.
- Place the chicken onto a baking tray along with the vine tomatoes and place in the oven for a total of 30 - 35 minutes. At 15-20 minutes, turn the kievs once to ensure a lovely golden colour all over.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)