Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
Banana And Chestnut Cake With Butterscotch Icing
This festive loaf is rich in flavour and a real crowd-pleaser. With a butterscotch icing it's perfect on winter nights with a cup of mulled wine.
- 3 ripened bananas
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 large free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g cooked chestnuts
- 115g butter
- 45g soft brown sugar
- 45g double cream
- 200g icing sugar
Method (click to mark as completed)
Serves approx. 12
For the cake
- Pre heat the oven to 180C. Take a loaf tin approx. 24cm in length and approx. 15cm in width and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl add the sugar, butter and vanilla essence, mix together to form a light & fluffy mixture, slowly add the eggs one by one making sure to mix well before adding the next.
- Sieve the flour and mix into the creamed butter and sugar.
- Roughly chop the chestnuts and lightly mash the bananas and mix through the cake mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the pre lined cake tin and cook for 30 -40 minutes. When cooked leave to cool fully on a wire rack before icing.
For the icing
- Take a pan and put it on the heat, add the soft brown sugar and heat until caramelised. Whisk in 15g of the butter until a caramel forms. Slowly and carefully stir in the cream until it all comes together again. Set aside and leave to cool fully.
- In a bowl whisk the remaining 100g of butter with the butterscotch until white and fluffy, sieve in the icing sugar and slowly stir into the butter.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)