Coronavirus – the latest updates from Russell Hobbs - FIND OUT MORE
It wouldn't be Christmas without a gingerbread house, so why not make your own?
For the gingerbread:
- 250g unsalted butter
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 7 tbsp. golden syrup
- 600g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 egg whites
- Icing pens
- 500g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Candy canes
- Generous selection of sweets of your choice,
- Few edible balls
Method (click to mark as completed)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan on a medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate soda and ground ginger. Then stir in the butter mixture to make a dough. Add a drop of water if the dough is too stiff.
- Roll out your dough on a sheet of baking paper and use a house template to cut out the sections of the house until you have two side walls, a front & back wall and two roof panels.
- Bake all of the sections for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown then set aside to cool.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and sift in the icing sugar, then stir to make a thick smooth icing. Spoon into an icing bag and pipe along the edges of the sections - this will act as a glue. Once all of the sections are stuck together set aside and allow to dry for approximately 3 hours or until firm.
- To decorate, pipe icing along the length of the house to look like snow and top with your favourite sweets.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)